Happy Balloon Day!

Happy Friday everyone!
I have a super fun project for you today featuring one of the new images from our most recent release at Sami Stamps!  I wasn't able to get a project put together last week when the release came out, but I wanted to be sure to put something together this week since these images are just so darn cute!
This card features the Floating Kitty 4 image and I just adore it!  To start my card, I did some splashy watercoloring for the background, mixing some blues and teals together.  Then took my Landscape Trio die from Mama Elephant and cut the panel apart into layers of clouds.  Once that was all cut, I took some soft grey ShinHan markers and added shading to the bottoms of each cloud layer so that there was a bit of dimension at each layer.

Doing this helped to give the feeling that each layer was behind the one in front of it.  It's a subtle effect, but gorgeous!  Once I had everything colored, I gave the whole panel a nice spritz of shimmer mist, so now the whole thing sparkles!

Then I set to work on my image.  I printed it off on watercolor paper and did some simple painting on it.  The cat was the hardest since I was painting it like my little Storm and I always struggle with shading out black.  It's always either all dark or all washed out...but I think this time I got it pretty right :)

I used the same teals from the background to paint in the balloon and then coated it with a thick layer of glossy accents.  Everything was fussy cut out once it was dry.

Now the fun part!  There is a string drawn into the image, but I wanted to do something a little different with this card so I cut the cat away from the balloon and added my own string wrapped around his paws.  The balloon was attached using some foam tape, but I left the kitty completely free...so it swings!
I couldn't stop playing with this card last night!  Just having that kitty swing back and forth across the card made me so happy!

Since I wanted the focus to be on the swinging cat, I left the rest of the card free of embellishments.  They just would have gotten in the way anyhow :)

So be sure to swing by Sami Stamps to see this full Floating Kitties release, and then join in our Anything Goes challenge that just started!!!

1 comment:

  1. The next time you make any type of Birthday card Emily...please consider joining us at http://seizethebirthday.blogspot.com You're so very. very talented and creative!

    ReplyDelete